- war of nerves
- nounthe use of psychological tactics to destroy the opponents' morale• Syn: ↑psychological warfare
* * *: psychological tactics of assailing the morale of an opponent by broadcasting propaganda, spreading rumors through secret agents or neutral channels, or otherwise creating mental confusion and indecision
* * *a conflict using psychological techniques, as propaganda, threats, and false rumors, rather than direct violence, in order to confuse, thwart, or intimidate an enemy.[1935-40]
* * *war of nerves see under ↑war1• • •Main Entry: ↑nerve————————war of nerves nounSystematic attempts to undermine morale by means of threats, rumours and counter-rumours, etc• • •Main Entry: ↑war
* * *a competition or fight in which someone tries to beat their opponent by making them worried or afraidMain entry: nerve
* * *war of nerves,a conflict in which tension is built up by intimidation, propaganda, or obstructive or delaying tactics rather than by use or threat of violence: »
Both sides are digging in for a war of nerves with each determined to wait out the other to get the price it wants (Wall Street Journal).
* * *Ia struggle in which opponents try to wear each other down by psychological meansIIsee nerve
* * *war of nerves: a situation in which people do or say things to make other people feel afraid or nervous about what will happen
The company and the union are engaged in a war of nerves, with each side threatening the other.• • •Main Entry: ↑nerve————————war of nerves — see ↑nerve• • •Main Entry: ↑war
Useful english dictionary. 2012.